top of page
  • ClickInsights

What Classifies as a Good Exit Rate in Google Analytics?

In the world of Google Analytics, you can often feel lost in the cyclone of metrics. These include click-through rates, conversion ratios, and ways of analyzing visitor behavior. Smaller businesses often gather too much data but then find themselves scratching their heads about what to do with it.


When we talk about exit rates, perhaps the first thing to understand is that it does not only rely on the number of people with access to your site. Instead, it has more to do with the quality of your page and how well you can navigate it.


Let us first understand what we mean when we say exit rate.


What is the Exit Rate?

An exit rate is the time duration, measured as a percentage. It tells one the time taken for a person visiting the site to close it down after they visit a couple of pages on the site.


A simple formula to understand the concept goes,


Exit rate = Number of exits/Number of page views for a particular page x 100.


For instance, after logging onto your site, a visitor goes to a different category from your homepage. From there, they open another product page and another after that. After viewing links of what the site has to offer, they close it down eventually. However, on the day right after, they find their way back to a different product page with other categories before they log out of it.


If, on both sessions for the same site, the viewer goes to the product page once each time, the exit rate for the product page would be 50%. The same goes for the category page.


What is the exit rate vs. the bounce rate?

On another note, the exit rate can never get confused with the bounce rate. Unlike the exit rate, the bounce rate includes those viewers who leave the website after the page gets loaded without going anywhere else from it. Such actions that they never end up doing on the site include navigating to another page or clicking on a link.


When a customer opens a blog, reads it, and leaves, it counts as a bounce. However, it also counts as an exit. Therefore, we can say that all bounces are exits, but not all exits cannot get considered bounces.

.

An Equation for Calculating Bounce Rate

The equation goes, bounce rate = the total number of actions that began and ended on the page and all sessions that started from the same page and went on to other pages x 100.


What is a Good Exit Rate?

A 33% exit rate shows three sessions on the homepage and one session left from the homepage. Similarly, a 25% exit rate for a category page would mean four sessions at the category page, with a single session leaving from the same page. Thirdly, a 75% exit rate translates to four sessions included on the product page, with three sessions exited from it.

These are all examples of a decent exit rate.


What is a Good Bounce Rate?

An example of a decent bounce rate is a day beginning with 0%, meaning it started with a homepage, but there was no single-page session. It followed a 33% bounce rate for the category page, with three sessions starting at the category page and one resulting in a bounce.


A product page has a 100% bounce rate, with one session beginning with the product page, followed by a bounce.


A RocketFuel study found that a bounce rate between 26% and 70% is considered fine––with the average being 45%.


Conclusion

In understanding how exit rates work, we must never forget that 100% of visitors eventually leave your site. However, it comes in handy to detect a problem on the site, which increases exit rates.


Professionals equipped with the required tools, such as heat maps, session recordings, and other tools to keep track of audience viewership on the page, can help solve the problem.



bottom of page